Friday, February 27, 2009

Exhausted!!!

This post is going to be a total vent. I apologize now but I just need to write my feelings.
My dad turned 67 yesterday. I can't believe what an AMAZING dad he is. He has always and I mean always put my mom and my siblings first. He has worked so hard in his life. He had back surgery (3 level fusion) in '86 which they now have diagnosed as failed back surgery. He also has been diagnosed with industrial CPOD. Only 1/2 of his lungs are functioning. Those are both due to his work. Then in 2004 he had a triple bypass.
He has never been the same since the bypass surgery. But lately he has been so sick. Earlier this month he got C-DIF. That is an infection you can get in your intestine. It makes you throw up and have diarrhea. He had this for 15 days before they finally diagnosed it. He lost a ton of weight. He barely started regaining strength (not full strength) and then he got a cold. On top of that he has been throwing up again for the past 5 days. Since his lungs are so bad it hospitalized him last night (his birthday).
My mom called me at 8:00pm to tell me she was taking him in to the ER and I met them there. My sweet husband stayed home with the kids and took such good care of them.
After being in the ER for a few hours they said they wanted to admit my dad and run lots of tests. His oxygen level was very low. He had gone to the doctor earlier yesterday morning and they gave him antibiotics, inhalers, etc. However, he couldn't take the medicine because he couldn't keep anything down.
I have only seen my dad lying in a hospital bed a few times, and each time scares me. Other than seeing him in ICU after his heart surgery last night was one of the worst times. He usually is trying to entertain everyone and joke but last night he was silent. My mom and I were sitting there watching his oxygen level and saying it was in 90's which is good(he had oxygen on) considering earlier at the doctors office it was really low. He told my mom and I that if he hadn't come to the ER he didn't think he was going to make it through the night. I had to stay so strong for my mom, but I nearly lost it. I hate to think about that day that I know is inevitable but I need more time with him. My little Emma ABSOLUTELY IDOLIZES him.
She lights up when she sees him. When the door bell rings she runs and yells Papa. It breaks her heart when I open the door and it is someone else. One time we went and picked up my mom to go run some errands. My dad came out of the house to say hi to us in the car like he always does. As we drove away Emma started crying hysterically. She wanted to stay at Papa's house with him. They are so cute together. I can't even think about the day that he is not here to play with her. Or when I have to explain he is not here anymore.
I hope and pray he gets better. He looses more and more strength each time he gets sick.

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

I'm so sorry Chicki! I hope your Dad gets better soon, and can stay around for a long time. That is so cute that Emma loves him so much! You and your family will be in our prayers.

Chanda said...

I am so sorry to hear that! I am here for you if you need to talk or if you need a babysitter! It was so much fun seeing you last night at Costco! I wish I would have given you a big hug!!! Take care of yourself! I will be thinking about you!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry! Do you want me to watch Emma and Mya? Let me know and I'll do it in a heart beat!
I'm sitting here with tears running down my face! You are such a good daughter!

Penny said...

Be Strong. It's hard to see the kids become the adults and the parents become the kids. I know the feeling. Thank goodness for the gospel. Our prayers are with you.

Mary said...

Hang in there!! It is not fun at all to see a parent be so sick. You and your family will be in my prayers. We miss you guys!!

Ginger said...

You will have to force your dad to rest. I bet the only way to do that that is to tie him to the bed. I hope he feels better. I am sure that is so hard to see him like that.