Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A little more normal...

Ever since Dustin and I have been married (5 years and 6 months today) he has worked late every night. When we were first married he worked until 9:00pm. Then about a year later they allowed him to work until 12:00am. That was so hard but so good. This made it possible for him to continue working 40 hours, keep a full schedule at school (17+ credit hours a semester), drive 2 hours to school (1 hour there and 1 hour back), and have enough time for homework. A few years later he moved departments and was only allowed to work until 9:00pm and we thought we were in heaven. Then in January the Boulevard started closing at 7:00pm, we thought we had hit the jackpot. He could come home and have dinner with us instead of me making him a plate and taking it to his work or putting his plate in the refrigerator until he got home. It felt like I cooked 2 dinners every night. One for me and Emma and then one for him. Last week his supervisor informed him that he can only work on Saturdays from now on (good ol' economy). Of course we were ecstatic but worried about finances.
Tonight I was so thankful for what I have and realized I need to stop complaining. He has a good teaching job which pays the bills and he still has some income from the Boulevard (oh and I can't forget to mention the discount on furniture). I finally came to this tonight when he got home at 5:30pm from soccer practice. We had dinner, took a little drive around town, got an ice cream, and played with the girls. I love having him home. As most of you know Dustin is the life of the party. There is NEVER a dull moment when he is around. I love him so much and can't tell him enough what a great husband and father he is. His girls LOVE him and light up whenever he comes home. Here are a few pictures from tonight.
Mya's first time eating ice cream. She was licking her chops for quit awhile


8 comments:

Cynthia said...

How fun!! We're almost there, and I can't wait. I hope your finances will be just fine though.

Mary said...

You and I just switched. Matt use to get home around 4 or 4:30 everyday. Not anymore though. Now that he is out of the Air Force he often times does not get home until around 6 or 7. He also never worked Saturdays and now as long as the weather is nice he works Saturdays as well. I hate the long hours that he is putting in but I am sure I will like the paycheck with all of the overtime.

Dani Jensen said...

Hooray! You guys deserve some extra family time. I'm sure it will all work out.

Kamille said...

It's nice to be married to someone you enjoy. I was talking with a friend of mine who said she can't hardly stand to have her husband around. He is gone so much and when he is there, he just bugs her. I felt so sad for her. I love when I can spend time with my husband, too. I know financially it's tougher to go without that cushion, but your family will have the chance to do things that will strengthen your bond. I'm glad you get to be with him. And I love the pic of Emma laying on Mya. Sweet.

Unknown said...

oh that makes me cry! I can't wait until Charles can come home and play.
35 more days!

Ginger said...

That will be so nice. You probably won't know what to do with all of the extra time with him at home. You deserve it, it has been a very very long time!!

Penny said...

I wish I had your Faith. I would LOVE for Joel to be home more. I just don't know if we could do it financially. He's home by 9 every night and that's the most we've seen him in 16 years.

Jodi Rae said...

Hey Charity! I have been fiddling with my blog a little bit and changed the website name. Anyway, I tried to change it back to my old website name and it wouldn't let me because it was already taken. I don't know who would want www.brianjodiatkinson.blogspot.com:). Anyway, I checked it out and it had our names, but your family description on it. I know, wierd. You can go to the site and check it out. I was just wondering if in your settings you maybe put it in our something wierd like that. If you could just check it out for me and let me know that would be great. Email me and let me know, because I would really like to switch back to my old blog address. Thanks! Jodi (jodirae27@hotmail.com)