Well I feel so blessed and so miserable all in one. Sounds like an oxymoron I know. Let me explain.
First of all I feel so blessed because of AMAZING doctors and nurses. My dad went in last Wednesday to see his cardiologist. He looked over his stress test my dad had just completed and said he saw something he didn't like and wanted him to get an angiogram the next morning (2nd one in 3 1/2 months). So of course we went into panic mode as always. For some reason this time I was really on edge. You would think this would be routine but I don't know what my problem was. I was like a bomb ready to go off any minute.
The next morning I took my parents to the hospital for the angiogram. We sat there for 3 1/2 hours before they took him back. He was only gone about 20 minutes when I saw them bringing him back. He said the doctor told him everything looked good. His blood flow was great, his stent was holding on good, and the bypass was holding it's own. I was so frustrated. Why had his doctor been so worried yesterday and why did he give us something to worry about for nothing? I wanted to scream.
His doctor finally came in and told us he was happy that everything was clear because they were that much close to qualifying for a pacemaker. If there had been something there to fix it would have pushed back the qualification for a pacemaker back for another 6 months.
Background: Every since my dad had his bypass 5 years ago he had never felt good. They have done tests after tests so see but nothing really showed up until his angiogram 3 1/2 months ago and they put in a stent. They said that should make a world of difference. It didn't. The doctor has wanted to put in a pacemaker but Medicare won't cover it until your heart rate is below 29. My dad's has been about 35-31. Once they did this last angiogram it showed that everything was clear except the heart rate and the only thing left to do was put the pacemaker in.
So the doctor said lets put in a pacemaker(keeps your heart rate consistent) and a defibrillator(shocks your heart if it tries to stop) tomorrow morning.
We were so happy. We have always worried my dad's heart was going to stop too soon because his heartrate was too low.
My sister and her daughter came down to help out and it was soooooooo nice. It took so much pressure off me.
So Friday morning at 8:30am he went in. It took them about 3 hours to do the procedure. He has lost so much weight that they had to put the machine behind his muscle and that is VERY painful. They were trying to give him medicine to knock him out but he wouldn't. He said he remembers at one point they were pulling and pushing on his chest so hard he was coming off the table.
The doctors were very pleased at how well his incision looked after. They were afraid they may have to move it. So far so good.
He had to spend the night Friday and on Saturday he was so looking forward to going home. When his doctor came in to do rounds my dad threw up. His doctor asked how long that had been happening and my dad told him just that morning. They ran some tests and his potassium and sodium was too low and he had to spend the night. He was so mad. He hates hospitals. We brought him home on Sunday and he is doing well. Still in a lot of pain. He has to keep his left arm in a sling so he doesn't move his arm too much and pull the incision apart.
So here is were I get miserable. Saturday Dustin was home with my girls. Thank goodness for an awesome husband who is so willing to step up and help out. I ran home to grab something and my little Mya looked so sick. She has a bad cold. You can tell just by looking at her eyes. So that was the last thing I needed. Then last night my throat started hurting and I now have the horrible cold. I am miserable because I need to be over helping my mom and dad but I can't go near them. It would be awful if either one of them got this cold. So I have my sick baby that wants to be held all day, laundry, cleaning, etc. to get done and I lose energy just getting up. I really need this cold to go away now.
So again I am so grateful that things worked out with my dad and so miserable with sickness.
7 years ago




5 comments:
I'm so sorry you are sick but take care of yourself or it seems to stay forever. I'm happy your dad's thing went well I hope that helps so much with all he has had to go through.
I'm glad to hear everything went well with your dad!! Sorry you're so sick and then to also have a sick baby, that is no fun. Just leave the cleaning and stuff for when you're feeling better!!
Thank God for modern medicine. What would we do without it? I know I'd be without my dad. And I am sorry that you are miserable. Maybe it's more than just a cold if you can't get you-self (That was intentional) off the couch. Don't wait too long to use that modern medicine if you need to! Do you want soup instead of cookies for your prize from my little picture the babe post?
That sounds awful. I am so sorry about your dad. And you and your baby! I hate sickness and diseases! Go away and never come again on any other day.
That all does not sound fun at all. I hope you feel better.
Post a Comment